How to Respond to an Injury Claim

A Respondent is the term used to describe the person or entity against whom a claim is being made.

What Should I Do If A Claim Is Made Against Me?

If someone has made a claim against you through PIAB, you'll receive a "Formal Notice". This is simply a notification to you that someone is claiming against you.

We recommend you notify your insurance company once you receive a Formal Notice. The insurance company will deal directly with PIAB on your behalf.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Do I Have To Pay Anything? What if I agree to PIAB assessing a claim?

If you agree to PIAB assessing a claim you will have to pay a statutory fee (€600 in respect of Formal Notices issued on or after the 1st January 2013, previously €850 since February 2011) for dealing with the claimant's application. However, if your insurance company is dealing with the claim on your behalf, they will pay the fee for you. The statutory fee is separate to any possible claim settlement.

Q. What if I don't agree to PIAB assessing a claim against me?

If you don't agree to an assessment, the claimant will be issued with an 'Authorisation,' which means that they can pursue their case against you through the Court system if they so wish.

Upon receipt of a 'Formal Notice' of claim you must respond to PIAB in writing within 90 days, from the date of the 'Formal Notice,' indicating that you do not agree to us assessing a claim against you.

See all our Frequently Asked Questions

Contact PIAB

If you have any questions regarding the PIAB process, please contact us at:

PO Box 8
Co. Cork, P85 YH98

Tel: LoCall 1890 829 121 or from Northern Ireland 0870 876 8121. Lines open Monday-Friday 8am-8pm

Estimate Your Claim

The amount of compensation awarded for personal injuries differs from case to case. However, our Claim Estimation tools offer some guidelines for estimating how much a claimant is likely to receive depending on the nature and extent of their injuries.